The Village Hall was previously the village school. It is an important resource for the village and is available for hire (see rates below). Facilities include a main hall that can seat up to around 100; a stage-system and pro-lighting; a fully-equipped kitchen; and a small room that can be used as an office or administration area, etc. The Hall is situated close to the village centre, about 300 metres from The George pub. The full address is Beresford Lane, Alstonefield, DE6 2FR. Map. There is ample car parking next to the hall and in other car parks nearby – click here.
There is a visiting Post Office service at the hall on Mondays (1pm-4pm) and Thursdays (midday – 2pm).
Refreshments are served in the Village Hall on the mornings of Car Boot Sales, normally held every fourth Sunday of each month during the summer.
We occasionally host concerts in the Hall, usually on Saturday evenings. We like to feature a range of musical styles, such as folk, blues, singer-songwriters, jazz, Americana/ alt.country, etc. There is a licensed bar and all concerts start at 8pm unless stated (doors 7.30). Tickets are best (and cheapest) if bought online – our current programme can be viewed here. Further details are available on our Events page.
Committee Members (officers)
- Chairman – Martin Snodin (01335 310121)
- Vice Chairman/Social Secretary – Dave Littlehales (01335 310322)
- Secretary (and History Group Representative Member) – Margaret Cohen (01335 310381)
- Booking Secretary- Joanna Griffin (07812 606 790 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Treasurer – Debs Railton (01335 310049)
Other committee members
- Val Littlehales (Parochial Church Council Representative)
- Mandy Domville (Friendship Club Representative)
- Steve King (Cricket Club Representative – tbc)
- Frank Lipp
- Ian Longdon
- Ken Sharples
- Anne Morgan
Hiring the hall:
Hire charges (last updated June 2019):
- Main room:
– General rate £16 per hour (£8 for residents and local/Parish organisations)
– Social events on Fridays/Saturdays £20 per hour (£12 residents/local)
- Meeting room only £10 per hour (£5 residents/local)
- Exclusive use rate for weddings etc i.e. use of whole premises with sole use of car park for special occasions and events – £25 per hour (£15 residents/local)
- Corporate hire – on application
Please use the form below to request the use of one of the rooms at the Village Hall. Once reserved, we will contact you to confirm the booking and arrange payment.
To check availability or enquire about rates or facilities, please contact the Booking Secretary, Joanna Griffin – email email@example.com.
Jean Allen, RIP, 1 November 2018
It is with very great sadness to have to report that Alstonefield Village Hall Committee has lost its leader and Chairman, Jean Allen, who passed away peacefully at home in November. Jean had been Chairman for six years, and was a tower of strength for our committee. She always had new ideas to improve the facilities in the hall and create a commercial kitchen. Her special interest was in catering, and she was dedicated to maintaining high standards of food welfare in the superb village hall kitchen, which she had planned. We will sorely miss her organising abilities and enthusiasm at the Car Boot Sales and other events. Her charm and welcoming warm smile to everyone she met as our Chairman was legendary, as were her expressions of gratitude to the volunteers she enlisted to assist us in the kitchen.
Thank you Jean for helping our community so much in many different ways, but especially for your role in developing a Village Hall of which we are justly proud.
(From Community Newsletter, Dec 2018 and Jan 2019)
Books are available to buy whenever the village hall is open, in the meeting room (and a smaller quantity in the main hall). Books may be browsed, borrowed or bought (there’s an honesty box). If you would like to donate books (or CDs/DVDs), please contact Dave or Val on 01335 310322 and we will either arrange for collection or invite you and your books for coffee! Alternatively box your books and leave them in the Meeting Room to be sorted before adding to stock. Thank You!
Click above for older listings/articles.
This page is maintained by Dave Littlehales