The community has established the Alstonefield Parish COVID-19 Action & Support Group, supporting residents who may need help during this difficult period. A leaflet has been delivered to as many households as possible, offering help, such as:
- Shopping for food and other essentials (including home delivery services)
- Collecting medication and prescriptions
- Helping with essential tasks
- Providing social contact
Contact details are in the leaflet – the latest update is here (a PDF file). Alternatively, visit its Facebook/Messenger page or complete the details on the Contact page and the website administrator will forward your message.
- The George restaurant and bars are now closed. However, they are using their suppliers to provide fresh fruit, vegetables and dry goods for collection or delivery to your door. Items can be ordered on Monday or Wednesday for collection/delivery on Wednesday or Friday, respectively.
For more details, go to The George website.
- The Village Hall is not accepting bookings for any social use that may conflict with the Government’s social distancing guidance. However, it is being put to good use by Cathy Reavy, who runs the regular Threads Workshops to make scrubs for care and hospital workers in Ashbourne. If you can help, please call her on 01335 310125. The Hall remains open for necessary meetings such as community support, Parish Council or emergency response teams. All Committee organised events until the end of June are cancelled or postponed. For further information or to make a donation to the Hall during this difficult period, click here.
- The outreach Post Office will remain open, on a very limited basis*.
- Church services: all public workship services in the benefice of Alstonefield, Ilam and Wetton are cancelled until further notice. For further information, click here.
Please visit the St Peter’s page to view a list of available recorded services, which include the Pentecost Sunday.
- Grow your own: as the planting season is well underway, please consider sowing extra seeds if you’re able to do so. If you’ve space to plant out, or have seedlings to spare, do contact Anne (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mandy (email@example.com) who will pass the word on and arrange delivery if needed.
* Please note that due to the current situation and ongoing staff shortages, the Post Office opening hours in the Village Hall are currently limited to Mondays only, 12.15-2.15pm, until further notice.
Notty would like to say a huge thank you for all the villagers who kindly donated on viewing the VE display outside the Museum. And to those who didn’t view but sent a very generous donation. Although the day was very quiet with few people about, we still
managed to raise £100, which will be sent to Derby and Burton Hospital Trust. Thank you also to the ladies who so generously baked and donated those delicious scones!!
Staffordshire Farm Watch
We’re all aware of the rise in rural crime, particularly within the farming sector.
Staffordshire Police are working with local communities in the Moorlands area to tackle these issues and have set up a Facebook page to keep everyone up to date.
Please visit and ‘like’ their page at: https://www.facebook.com/StaffsFarmWatch/
If you see or hear anything suspicious, please call the police non-emergency number: 101. You can also sign up to receive communications from the police by downloading this form: